Type of Visa for International Students

International student need to apply for a visa at the Chinese Embassy or Consulate-General to study in China. Below are the types of visa for international students to study in China:

X1 visa: intend to study in China for a period of more than 180 days.
X2 visa:intend to study in China for a period of no more than 180 days.
F visa: intend to go to China for exchanges, visits, studytours and other activities.
L Visa: intend to go to China as a tourist or student who takes summer program or winter program (such as the Summer Camp).

Documentations Required for Applying the Visa

  • Original passport
  • One completed Visa Application Form with a recently-taken color passport photo (bare-head, full face) against a light background attached.
  • Proof of legal stay or residence status(applicable to those not applying for the visa in their country of citizenship).
  • Original and photocopy of the Admission Letter.
  • Original and photocopy of “Visa Application for Study in China”, known as Form JW201 or Form JW202 (Only required for X1 Visa).
  • Photocopy of previous Chinese passports or previous Chinese visas (applicable to foreign citizens those who were Chinese citizens and have obtained foreign citizenship).
  • Other supporting documents.

Where and How to Apply the Visa

  1. Visa applicants should fill out a visa application form online on China Online Visa Application (COVA) (https://cova.cs.mfa.gov.cn), print out the confirmation page and the application form to sign these two documents.
  2. Visa applicants should make an appointment for your interview online on Appointment for Visa Application Submission (AVAS) (https://avas.cs.mfa.gov.cn) .
  3. Applicants should present online reservation form, visa application form confirmation page, passport and other application materials for interview.