Type of Visa for International Students
International student need to apply for a visa at the Chinese Embassy or Consulate-General to study in China. Below are the types of visa for international students to study in China:
X1 visa: intend to study in China for a period of more than 180 days.
X2 visa:intend to study in China for a period of no more than 180 days.
F visa: intend to go to China for exchanges, visits, studytours and other activities.
L Visa: intend to go to China as a tourist or student who takes summer program or winter program (such as the Summer Camp).
Documentations Required for Applying the Visa
- Original passport
- One completed Visa Application Form with a recently-taken color passport photo (bare-head, full face) against a light background attached.
- Proof of legal stay or residence status(applicable to those not applying for the visa in their country of citizenship).
- Original and photocopy of the Admission Letter.
- Original and photocopy of “Visa Application for Study in China”, known as Form JW201 or Form JW202 (Only required for X1 Visa).
- Photocopy of previous Chinese passports or previous Chinese visas (applicable to foreign citizens those who were Chinese citizens and have obtained foreign citizenship).
- Other supporting documents.
Where and How to Apply the Visa
- Visa applicants should fill out a visa application form online on China Online Visa Application (COVA) (https://cova.cs.mfa.gov.cn), print out the confirmation page and the application form to sign these two documents.
- Visa applicants should make an appointment for your interview online on Appointment for Visa Application Submission (AVAS) (https://avas.cs.mfa.gov.cn) .
- Applicants should present online reservation form, visa application form confirmation page, passport and other application materials for interview.